Have you noticed that your lawn isn’t as green as it should be? Does it have brown spots or feel dry? Your lawn may be stressed from the summer weather! In this article we are going to list five causes of summer lawn stress that you should keep an eye out for.
1. Stress from Drought: If your lawn isn’t being properly watered, it can cause your lawn to brown, wilt, or die. High summer temperatures and a lack of water are a bad combination for grass. If you are able to pull on brown grass and it is firmly rooted, this means your grass is brown because it hasn’t received enough water.
2. Dormant Grass: It could be possible that your grass has gone dormant. Grass becomes dormant as a way to protect itself and happens during the dry, hot summer conditions. Dormant grass will return to green if it is water properly, however watering one time will not make the green return. You must water regularly and your lawn should return to being green in 3 to 4 weeks. Cool season grasses may even need to be reseeded.
3. Pesky Insects: Insects are alive and well in the warmer summer months. Several insects such as grubs love to feed on the roots of grass. If you pull on the brown grass and it easily comes up with no sign of roots, you probably have an insect problem that you should look in to.
4. Overwatering: Just like you may not be watering enough, you could be watering too much. Grass does not need to be watered everyday. If there is too much moisture in the ground, it creates a perfect breeding ground for lawn diseases and can weaken your lawn.
5. Cutting Too Short: It is a common misconception that if you cut your grass shorter, you won’t have to mow as often. You are actually just damaging your lawn. If grass is cut too short, you expose your lawn to insects and exposed soil. Exposed soil leads to a perfect place for seeds of weeds to fall. You definitely don’t want a lawn full of weed and insects!
If you have any questions or concerns about your lawn, drop us a comment, send us a message, or give us a call. We will be happy to answer any of your questions!
By: Hannah Raines
Copyright ALL Outdoors 2018
ALL Outdoors will post educational articles, videos, and newsletters to help you learn about the lawn care, landscaping, and outdoor living world.
Click Below to Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube. All Blogs are posted on our page as well.
Click Below to Receive Email Notification when a New Blog is Posted.
To Use the RSS Feed you must have a RSS Feed Reader App. The URL is www.alloutdoors-sc.com/1/feed
We proudly service Greenville, Greer, Taylors, Mauldin, Simpsonville, Five Forks, and surrounding Upstate cities in South Carolina for lawn care and landscaping services. Call us today at 864.275.2039 to see why we are the premier lawn and landscape company of the Upstate.
Request a Quote
Residential Services - Commercial Services
FAQ - Testimonials - Career
Home - About Us - Gallery - Client Login